What is a Health Coach?
You might have thought of working with someone to help you make progress toward your goals, but wonder:
What actually is a health coach?
First, off, it’s easier to define what a health coach is not:
Advice giver: you’ve probably already got plenty of friends and family members willing to offer unsolicited advice on how to lose weight, decrease stress, exercise more, fill in the blank ___________.
Although a health coach can occasionally step out of the coaching role and serve as an educator, providing you with helpful, supportive resources on nutrition, exercise, and lifestyle, the main role of a coach is to:
- listen intently to you and ask powerful, focused questions
- help you determine what behavioral and lifestyle changes match the values you hold dear so that these changes match who you are and want to be
Maybe you want to be the “healthiest you” so that you live the longest life possible and can keep up with your sweet grandkids. (That’s my motivation right there!)
- work with you to set meaningful goals that will enhance your life. With that, together you will break down those goals into habits that will ensure success.
Perhaps you set a goal to lose 15 lbs by April 30th. What daily habits might be getting in your way? What new habits can replace them so that you are successful?
Coaches are trained in the science of habit formation and can work with you to ignite your motivation and help you plan steps to succeed!
- hold you accountable
At the end of each session, you will have a plan to move forward and an agreement with your coach about how you will be accountable and what will support you in following through! This accountability is meant as a support, and if things don’t go as planned, this is a key insight to bring to your next session.
- help you recognize and celebrate both small and big wins and encourage you through tough times
Though a coach is not a cheerleader, I will be a partner who helps you recognize your progress through reflection and conversation. Often times we are our own worst critics and need someone to help us see our small wins. We also need support when we don’t quite make it to the goal in the time we desired.
- assist you in discovering how your strengths can facilitate your progress and overall wellbeing. When we are living our most vibrant, meaningful moments, our strengths are at work. Don’t know about strengths? Check out the VIA!
In summary, a coach goes on a beautiful journey with their client, facilitating discovery, awareness, and action. The client is the expert and is most definitely the most important voice in the conversation.
What questions do you have about health coaching?
here's How we can Work Together
Health coaching is an opportunity that anyone, with any means, should be able to access.
For this reason, I am offering a structure that will make coaching accessible for more people.
Here’s how it works:
We schedule a free 30 minute discovery call to see if we’re a good fit for each other! Some issues are more suited for therapy and some are within the realm of health coaching.
If we decide to work together, you decide what you pay: $0-$100 per session is the range of my clients.
We decide the frequency that works: weekly, twice a month, etc and we take it from there!
Let me know if you have questions. Text, email or call!